A marker constructed on the east side of the courtsquare is one of two that will commemorate local Civil War skirmishes in connection with the sesquicentennial (150th anniversary) of the war.
County officials approved the markers a year ago, following research by Justice of the Peace Stan Townsend into Civil War events that took place in Stone County.
A marker already in place at St. James identifies the site of the 1864 Battle of Buckhorn. Townsend also documented two skirmishes that took place near the steamboat landing at Sylamore. Gunpowder was shipped out from Sylamore after being manufactured at Gunner Pool, and the Union sought to interfere with this process and eventually destroyed the site where the powder was manufactured, Townsend explained. He researched the local history of the war during 2013, in response to a request from the state that all counties identify and place markers at the sites of their Civil War events.
The new marker on the courtsquare includes a plaque set onto a stone base that was chosen to coordinate with the appearance of the courthouse and surrounding buildings. The plaque explains some general information about the county during the war and refers visitors to the marker at St. James and the new one that will be placed at Allison. The marker at Allison will be a similar plaque, with a simpler base, describing the steamboat landing and the skirmishes that took place there.
The county and state split the cost of the markers, which totalled around $4,200 for both plaques.
The plaque was expected to be set this week.
Officials are planning a dedication ceremony sometime this spring, and Townsend said the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission plans to participate, as well as some Civil War groups.
From the Feb. 4, 2015 issue.